9.26.2010

Death Through War

Post WW1&2 Impressionist Otto Dix created paintings that grotesquely depicted the horror and brutality of war. During WW1 he volunteered for the German Army and was sent to the trenches. He has said he was plagued by nightmares for the rest of life because of what he did during the war. Using mostly soldiers and prostitutes as his subjects he showed society and the perverse effects war has upon it.

While his style may be distorted, I still find great beauty in the use of colors and underlying emotion in his paintings. He truly translated his view of the world into very inspiring and moving pieces.

"I have to experience all the ghastly, bottomless depths for life for myself; it's for that reason that I went to war, and for that reason I volunteered."

dix2

dix1

08_dix_the-salon-il

Otto_Dix_Sy_von_Harden

OttoDix

{images: google}


No comments: